Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Answer

Declan had his 8 week checkup today, including his shots! :(

I have to admit, that for the last few weeks, this little guy has been giving us a run for our money. I call him my sensitive guy, because any little thing can set him off. He cries a lot of the day, and a lot of times nothing can calm him down. He still eats in 3 hr increments, and keeps us up throughout the night. He only smiles a couple times a day, and we really have to work for it. I knew in my heart what was causing this, but was afraid to admit it to myself.

But Dr. Mathis told us the minute he walked in to the exam room today, just by hearing him and watching his mannerisms. My precious boy is colicky. Every new moms WORSE. NIGHTMARE.

I knew being a new mom was going to be hard. I knew there would be sleepless nights. I knew that there would be times that I wasn't going to be able to fix him. But I didnt know it could be this hard. Having a colicky baby is something that can't be understood unless you experience it.

There have been times when Declan and I are both crying, because I can't find anything to make him stop! I just love him so much, and he cries like he's in pain, and I want to fix him, but I can't. And this happens on a DAILY basis.

There is no identified cause of colic, but it is basically hours of inconsolable crying in a healthy baby every day. It happens to many babies, and it is nothing that parents do wrong to cause it. It generally begins around week 4, peaks at week 6, and disappears by week 16.

I feel comfort knowing that there is an end to this, and that this is no indication of what his personality will be like. He is still my perfect little boy. He just happens to be perfectly colicky! And we'll get through this. One day at a time.

Here's a picture of my little chunk eating at the doctors:


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment